Pages

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Quality vs. Quantity

My chance to be Freud....I never thought this day would come.



Let us take a minute to ponder life. Millions of years ago, the Lord spoke that Adam and Eve would begin this….life that we are living. Since then, we have been living to try to understand why and how to live the years that we have been given and on this journey, we fill our time with activities that we either enjoy or, inevitably do not. We choose a job or a profession based on the life that we have lived up until the point that we chose that career goal. We become lawyers, doctors, teachers and firemen. We spend our time watching “Family Guy” and “American Dad” to get away from the problems and perhaps maybe….distract ourselves from the problems that we deal with on a daily basis. With all of this being said, the question that then begs to be answered is- “What then, is the push and the pull in our lives” I mean, we all must have some sort of order in our lives so then, why do we do what we do? In quantum physics, it is hypothesized that two molecules can be infinitely apart, yet somehow connected by what Einstein called “a mysterious force”. What if this same force that is prevalent in quantum physics is also in our lives? I have come to believe that there are two reasons that we make decisions. Both of these are neither good nor bad in and of themselves, but if we do one or the other completely then bad things may become of it. I hypothesize that the reasons are quantity of life vs. quality of life. In the world of marketing and business, the problem that all companies face when developing a product is deciding how much quality to put into a product and when to stop. In a perfect world, the quality of the product would be as good as the company could physically do and then some. However, what companies realize is that a quality product takes money and time and as we all know- both of them are precious. In life however, we do things on a day to day basis that go between both quantity and quality of life. Sigmund Freud thought that all people have a life and death reflex meaning that people do things that will either put them closer to death or closer to life.  On the same token, a life that is full of quality may not bode the most quantity later on. If I sit with a good friend and we each eat 3 slices of pizza, a family size bag of chips, a quart of ice cream and a large soda, I may be happy (if I don’t get sick first) and my quality of life may be better, but my quantity of life in the long run may become worse. Consequently, if I start an exercise regimen where I run ½ a mile and then swim for 20 minutes 3 times a day, in the long term, my quantity of life will increase and after a while, so will my quality of life because I will start to feel better and my heart will start to pump blood better and I will be at a lower risk for a heart related disease. In this life, cling to what you love. Cling to the happiness that you find in the world and make sure that you live your life well. Steve Jobs once said “…we are not meant to just live in this world, we are meant to embrace it” Embrace the good parts of your life and maybe through them, we can all become happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment