Isn’t it interesting how perceptions change once you are
outside of the situation?
I always enjoyed playing for the youth worship team
at my church when I was in it in middle school and high school. This past
Monday, the leader of the worship team came to me as he does when they are out
a keyboard player and asked If I could play for him. Now, last semester when I
would be asked this, I would most likely say no just because I wouldn't have
the time, but now since I have a less busy schedule, I can do these kinds of things.
Now, I guess first, it would be good to understand who I was playing with. The
singers were 2 middle school kids who couldn't project if the audience was
three feet from them. The drummer was a 7th grader who is just
beginning to learn drums and is most likely there because his father made him.
The “Lead” guitarist was also a 7th grader who tried his darnest to
improv the entire night and it never really worked. And then there was me and
the band leader who played acoustic. Now, most nights when I would show up and
play, I never really gave it my all and never really tried that hard to be
musical or anything along those lines. My reasoning for this was simple- The
music never really sounded good. The drummer was always off beat and always
missed when to come in and the singers were always off pitch. It is a weird
feeling though going back and playing for my old worship team that was such a
huge part of my life in middle school and high school. I could have sworn that
we sounded better back then. Either way, something occurred to me this past
Monday as we were rehearsing and it went against everything that I was ever
taught about music or how to play music. In the midst of the missed notes and
the poor guitar playing, I found some of the best sounding music that I have
heard in a long time. In high school marching band, It was all about precision
and excellence. We were always trying to make it better and better every time
we ran the show or played through a specific part in the music. I remember
practicing for hours trying to get a sticking right or hearing my friends
complaining about how they just can’t get the fingering right for a certain
part. On Monday I realized that no matter how you play music, It’s still music.
Who ever said that music needs to be neat and put together? Who ever postulated
that when we play music that it needs to be understood and it needs to “Connect
with the audience”? I’m through with this feeling that music is only for the
super talented. I’m through with the understanding that if you don’t play the
music in time, and go along with what everyone else is doing then “You aren’t
doing it right”. Since when was there a right and wrong when it came to music?
I don’t know when this day occurred, but I think it was the day that allot of
musicians put down their instruments and never picked them back up. It’s a
shame to see people who really want to learn an instrument stop playing it
because they are told that they aren't using the right fingering or they play
out of time.
I remember a story my dad told me about when he was in the process
of buying my first drum set. I was in 5th grade and it was just
before the Christmas of 2005. My dad didn't know a whole lot about drum sets or
drums so he decided to go to local shops and try to learn some things about
them. I’ll never forget what he told me the one guy said when he walked into a
local drum shop. “Give me five minutes with him and I’ll let you know if your
boys a drummer or not. People either are or are not drummers. Its something your
born with- not something you can learn” hearing this really makes me sad
because to play in time, you first must play out of time. To play the right
notes, you must learn what the wrong ones are. To learn to project your voice,
you must know what it feels like to not project. So yeah, maybe they don’t
always play the right notes, and maybe they don’t always play in time, but I’m
so proud to be asked back every now and then to play for the youth worship
team. I’m honored to be part of the learning process. I’m proud to call my self
a musician, and I’m happy that I am part of something that at the very core of
its existence, challenges us to draw outside of the lines. As musicians, we are
called to make some sort of sense of what we see on a page, even if sometimes
this doesn’t make sense.
Here’s to playing what you feel. Here’s to playing
something different than everyone elce is. Here’s to going into your own little
drum, piano, guitar, or singers world and seeing what you can bring back with
you. Here’s to spending hours learning a song so you can impress that girl you
like. Here’s to the people who play what they feel and don’t care about what
others think. Here’s to the drummer who plays with everything he has and maybe
gets too much into it just because he loves drumming. Here’s to the guy who
sings way too loud in the choir- I’ll be standing beside you cheering you on.
Here’s to the pianist who enjoys plunking the keys and always gets yelled at by
their parents for pounding on the piano- that’s still music in my book. Here’s
to all the aspiring musicians. Play until you figure it out. Don’t be afraid of
wrong notes. Don’t be afraid to be wrong because with out being wrong, how can
you be right?
No comments:
Post a Comment